此外, 我路過凍櫃時, 看到一包包的急凍西人水餃-Perogies. 看起來好像我們華人吃的餃子, 但是看看材料, 原來內餡是薯蓉, 火腿及洋蔥. 於是便買一包回來今天晚上試試看. 根據包裝烹調說明, Perogies可以有幾種做法: 烤, 煮(水), 焗, 叮. 我選了用水來煮, 再沾自製醬汁(醬油, 醋, 糖)來吃.
很多國家都把Perogies稱為她們的傳統食品, 但是哪國家才是真正的起源, 卻不可考究了. 大底只知道它是跟Slavic文化有關. 也可能有源自東歐的一些國家如波蘭, 烏克蘭, 俄羅斯及羅馬尼亞等等. 它的製製作形式就像中國的餃子, 意大利的 ravioli, 日本人的gyoza及韓國人的mandu. 有人更指出這些不同形式的餃子可能就是當初蒙古人或波斯人把中國人的餃子文化帶過去.
1. PAN FRY: Place frozen perogies in very hot tap water for 3 minutes. Drain and blot dry with paper towel. Use 3 tablespoons of oil in a 9 inch frying pan or a maximum of 3 mm (1/8 inch) of oil. Oil should not cover the lip of the perogies. Cover pan and fry over medium heat until golden brown for approximately 4 - 41/2 minutes. Turn perogies for even frying after approximately 2 minutes.
2. BOILING: Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add frozen perogies cook on medium high heat for 5 - 6 minutes. Drain, cover lightly with butter and serve.
3. MICROWAVE: Place perogies in very hot tap water for 2 minutes. Remove perogies from water and place in a microwavable dish one layer deep; cover dish with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high power for 2 - 21/2 minutes for 5 - 6 perogies and 3 minutes for 10 -12 perogies. (cooking times may vary with microwave oven). Cover lightly with butter.
4. BAKE: SERVE AS AN APPETIZER Preheat oven to 350 F/175 C. Spray non stick baking pan with oil. Place frozen perogies on pan and spray tops of perogies with cooking oil. Perogies can also be brushed with oil. Place in oven and allow to bake for approximately 16 1/2 minutes. Do not over bake.
5. BARBECUE: Place a layer of frozen perogies inside a double layer of foil along with butter, margarine or oil. Evenly distribute the butter or margarine. For extra flavor add seasoned salt and/or diced onions. Form foil into a pouch and seal ends well to avoid leaks. Preheat barbecue and cook for approximately 15 minutes on medium heat with barbecue cover closed. Carefully flip foil pouch every 3 minutes.
CAUTION: This product must not be deep fried as submerging in hot oil may cause it to burst, splashing hot oil and causing injury.